Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Dad's Best Friend

I think every dad I know loves snickerdoodles. They are my dad's favorite dessert. And my father-in-law loves them too. We were able to be with my dad on his birthday this year so we made him snickerdoodles for his birthday dessert. He loved them and they were all gone the very next day. So, we made 3 more batches and he stored a secret stash so that he could eat as many as he wanted.


I like snickerdoodles a lot as well and this recipe is nothing short of amazing. They are also really fast and easy to make. They won't look done when you take them out but they crisp up a bit once they are out of the oven so under cooking them a tad is better than seeing them golden brown in the oven. However, I know from experience that they are still delicious even when they get a little extra crispy.

Snickerdoodles

½ cup shortening

½ cup butter - softened

1 ½ cups granulated sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp cream of tartar

1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

2 ¾ cups flour

Topping:

2 tsp cinnamon

4 tbsp granulated sugar

Cream shortening, butter, and sugar. Mix in eggs and then add dry ingredients. Scoop cookies into balls and roll in cinnamon mixture. Bake on ungreased sheet at 375 degrees for 12-14 minutes. Cool on racks.

1 comment: