Thursday, June 14, 2012

Handprint Embroidery

I typically have a difficult time trying to find/think of gifts for my husband for Father's Day and his birthday. He has a birthday at the end of June so I always have double duty right in a row. This year I found an excellent gift for my 2-year old to give him (Tickle Monster Kit), but was unsure of what I was going to give him. I ended up settling on making him a simple, embroidered, picture of my son's hand print inside of his hand print.

 

I thought it would be something fun that he could keep at his office to remember his sweet little guy at home. With our new baby just weeks (or less) away from arrival I was thinking that I could also add her little hand once she is born.

I did not have a pattern, I just came up with what I wanted in my head, traced it onto white muslin, and started stitching. I printed my son's name and "daddy" out from the computer, along with "Father's Day 2012." I really love how it turned out and I hope that my husband thinks it is fun.

If you want to do one of these it is definitely not too late. It took me about 2 hours of total work to complete it. I suppose it might take a bit longer if you have more than one child, and you might have to overlap hands of kids inside of their dad's hand print, but using different colored threads would help distinguish which hand print belonged to which person. I am thinking it would be fun to maybe update it every year? Or maybe every 2 or 3 years? We'll see how much my husband likes it!

The other big gift I like to give my husband is his favorite breakfast - cinnamon rolls and I always let him choose what we eat for dinner and dessert. This year I am planning a delicious blueberry crisp using THIS recipe, except with blueberries in place of apples. I'm excited to see how it turns out. I'll definitely be posting it if it turns out delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment