Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Random Nothingness

This post has nothing to do with crafting, but I was really excited about some new findings and I thought I would share them in case anyone was interested.

I have been coupon shopping for almost a year now and it has been going well. I was scoring some seriously AWESOME deals and getting FREE diapers most of the time. I think cutting coupons and pairing them with sales at the stores is worth it just for the diapers (unless you are using cloth diapers). However, the food is not usually very healthy that you find for a great bargain. Most of it really is "junk" food. As I have been researching nutrition over the past month or two I have come to the conclusion that I would like to stay within a reasonable budget, but also eat mostly organic, natural food. Thus I was feeling stuck in a rut because most of the time "organic" is not cheap. And sometimes "organic" is not any healthier because it is not truly organic.

Anyway, I stumbled across this great coupon website, Organic Deals, and between that and shopping at Trader Joe's, Sprouts Farmers Markets, and sometimes Whole Foods I think I will be able to stay within our budget and still eat much healthier. Hooray!

How did I get into all this stuff? By making my own baby food for this cute little guy...

I love to cook so it just seemed natural to me (and fun) to make baby food for Bennett. I started this while we were in Brazil and made peas, carrots, and potatoes.

Once we returned from our trip I got to work on making many more varieties of baby purees and bought a few books about homemade baby food. It is really easy and very fun. Once I started making all of his food I began wondering all about nutrition and how to make the right combinations of foods so that Bennett was getting ALL of the nutrients he needed daily. I still have a lot to learn but it has made me want to eat a lot healthier for our whole family. Plus I learned that you should try to abstain from giving kids chocolate until they are 3 years old. Who knew? And I think that is really a personal choice for each parent to make. I am undecided if we will wait until he is 3 or not.

I told you this post was really random. These are just things that are on my brain while I am procrastinating crafting (or rather my research is taking up my extra time, and making Bennett's food takes some of my time too). Hope you all have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. Way to go! I'm voting your victory in finding healthy food at a healthy price!
    Love Trish

    ReplyDelete